The US-Singapore Summer Exchange Scholarship Programme was announced during Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s Official Visit to the US from 31 July to 3 August 2016. It commemorates the 50th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Singapore and the US in 2016. The scholarship programme seeks to strengthen the excellent relations between Singapore and the US by deepening people-to-people ties. The scholarship programme will promote greater interaction and mutual understanding between the next generation of Singaporeans and Americans, by allowing recipients to attend a university summer exchange programme in each other’s countries.
The scholarship programme is jointly funded by the Government of Singapore and US companies and organisations, which include Applied Materials, Becton Dickinson, Mastercard and Micron Foundation. Over the course of five years, a total of 50 Singapore and 50 US recipients will receive the scholarship, which will provide funding support for recipients to attend a university summer exchange programme in each other’s countries. Each scholarship recipient will receive funding support capped at S$10,000, which covers tuition/programme fees, accommodation, airfare and a subsistence allowance.
How to Apply
A total of six scholarships are available, worth up to S$10,000 each:
- Three scholarships for NTU undergraduates participating in selected summer programmes with a US partner university
- Three scholarships for undergraduates of selected US partner universities participating in selected summer programmes at NTU
Terms of the Scholarship
Each recipient will receive up to S$10,000 under the scholarship programme.
- The scholarship will provide funding support for tuition, accommodation, airfare and subsistence allowance.
- The recipient will bear any cost in excess of S$10,000.
- There is no bond imposed on the recipient by the Singapore Government.
- The Singapore Government may, at its discretion, waive any of the conditions of the scholarship.
Eligible undergraduates of NTU applying to the following US partner universities* will receive an invitation to apply to this Scholarship Programme, and must meet the following criteria to be considered:
- Applicants from NTU must be Singapore citizens
- Applicants from eligible US partner universities must be US citizens
- Enrolled in a full-time undergraduate degree-awarding course at their home universities
- Among others, applicants will be assesed on the following criteria:
- Academic performance
- Co-curricular records and community involvement
- Essay response
- University of California, Berkeley [Summer Sessions]
- University of California, Los Angeles [Summer Sessions]
- University of Pennsylvania [Penn Summer On-Campus]
Terms and Conditions
The following terms and conditions applies:
- Each recipient will receive up to S$10,000
- The scholarship will provide funding for tuition, accommodation, airfare and subsistence allowance
- The student will bear any cost in excess of S$10,000
- There is no bond imposed on the recipient by the Singapore Government
- The Singapore Government may, at its discretion, waive any of the conditions of the scholarship
Please refer to GEM Discoverer Summer Studies application period.
The decision of the Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the selection of the scholarship recipients is final
The scholarship programme will be jointly funded by the Government of Singapore and US companies and organisations, namely, Applied Materials, Becton Dickinson, Mastercard and Micron Foundation.
Applied Materials, Inc is the leader in materials engineering solutions used to produce virtually every new chip and advanced display in the world. Our expertise in modifying materials at atomic levels and on an industrial scale enables customers to transform possibilities into realities. At Applied Materials, our innovations make possible the technology shaping the future. Learn more at www.appliedmaterials.com.
Becton Dickinson (BD) is a global medical technology company that is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD’s 40,000 associates in 50 countries work with customers to help enhance outcomes, lower health care delivery costs, increase efficiencies, improve health care safety and expand access to health. bd.com
Mastercard (NYSE: MA), www.mastercard.com, is a technology company in the global payments industry. We operate the world’s fastest payments processing network, connecting consumers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses in more than 210 countries and territories. Mastercard products and solutions make everyday commerce activities – such as shopping, traveling, running a business and managing finances – easier, more secure and more efficient for everyone. Follow us on Twitter @MastercardAP and @MastercardNews, join the discussion on the Beyond the Transaction Blog and subscribe for the latest news on the Engagement Bureau.
In support of Micron Technology’s global semiconductor operations, the Micron Foundation is engaged in supporting educators, students, and our locations by creating and providing for STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) education opportunities in our schools and communities. For more information about the Micron Foundation, visit www.micron.com/foundation