Known for its atmosphere and captivating culture, South Africa has stood on the world map as a destination that one shouldn’t miss. In addition to its bustling cosmopolitan city, South Africa offers great travel opportunities for the nature lover. Bask in the African sun and enrich your overall overseas experience by participating in the high quality of education South African universities have to offer.
About Stellenbosch University & the programme
Nestled between picturesque mountains in the Cape Winelands, Stellenbosch University is regarded as a leader in the fields of biomedical tuberculosis research and management, wine biotechnology, animal sciences and mathematical biosciences. The university offers a general 4 week programme with three electives, an LSCE module and a business module.
Summer School courses are drawn from across the university, and are divided into 3 subject areas
- General 4-week programme
- Learning, Sustainability and Community Engagement
- Doing Business in South Africa
- Public Health
For more details, click
Stellenbosch, South Africa
21 June – 19 July 2019
Type of Programme
Programme Cost (in South African Rands) in 2018 (for reference)
| ||3 Electives||2 Electives||1 Elective|||
|Tuition||R 7430||R 4955||R 2475||R8650|
|Housing||R 13 860||R 9900||R 4950||R13 860|
|Program Costs||R 19 455||R16 925||R13 935||R21 905|
|Total Summer School Fees per student||R 40 745||R 31 780||R 21 360||R 44 415|
|Airfare||S$1,800 – S$2,500|
|Visa||S$100 – S$200|
|Travel Insurance ||S$150 – S$200|
* Optional Garden Route Tour (19 July - 24 July 2019): R 6290 (for reference only)
* For more information regarding what is included in the summer school fee, please visit click
Number of Placements
Entry Requirements and Eligibility
Host university requirement:
Participant needs to have a minimum of cGPA2.8 to enrol in this programme
Student needs to enrol in a minimum of 2 courses.
- Applicants should meet the following cGPA at the point of application to be considered for the programme but this does not guarantee you a spot.
- cGPA of 2.5 for NTU students
- cGPA of 3.6 for NIE students
- For ADM students, please note only Year 3 and 4 ADM students will be considered for the programme.
- Priority will be given to Singaporeans and Singapore Permanent Residents.
- Priority will be given to final year students.
- Students who have NEVER participated in any overseas exchange programme will be placed on a higher priority during the selection. All fee-paying Summer Studies/ Winter Studies/ Prelude/ Language Immersion Programmes are not considered as overseas exchange programmes.
- Evaluation by the school (if necessary).
Credit Transfer Policy
Up to a maximum of 8 AUs for all course categories may be awarded, subject to school's approval.
The number of credits earned depends on the matched courses approved by the School and the courses you read in the host university. Eg. You will not earn the maximum 8 AUs if you only successfully complete 2 courses of 3 AUs each.
Matched courses whch exceed the maximum number of 8 AUs will not be recognised for credit even if they have been approved. There is no partical credit transfer of courses. Eg. If you submit 3 courses of 3 AUs each for approval, you can only transfer 2 courses or 6 AUs back to NTU.
Important Notes on Credit Transfer:
Students who are transferring credits from another university must comply with the following requirements for graduation:
- Curricular requirements for his degree programme
- Minimum candidature period
- Minimum AU of graded courses
- Credits that are transferred to NTU are not graded courses and therefore not counted towards the minimum AU of graded courses.
- The total AU from graded courses that a student has earned to-date is shown in his degree audit.
- Minimum years of study spent at NTU
- Minimum CGPA for graduation
For more details, please click here
NTU Financial Assistance
1. Ng Bok Eng Scholarship
2. Overseas Student Programme OSP Loans
3. Post-Secondary Education Account (PSEA)
For more details, please click here
Singapore nationals travelling to South Africa for a period of up to 90 days do not need a visa.
All NTU students must ensure that they have the adequate health and travel insurance coverage according to the NTU guidelines. The minimum level of coverage required for travel is:
a) Medical expenses (including hospitalisation and surgical): S$250,000 (outside ASEAN) or S$150,000 (within ASEAN);
b) Emergency medical evacuation and repatriation: Unlimited;
c) Personal liability: $1,000,000 SGD.
The period that you should be insured within is from the time you leave Singapore to the time you return to Singapore from your programme.
You can choose any suitable travel insurance policy underwritten by an insurance corporation, as long as it is managed by a reputable agency and fulfils the requirements.
For more details, click here
It is an NTU legal requirement that each participant submit an indemnity form at least
two weeks prior to your embarkation on a GEM Discoverer programme.
You will need the following information and scanned copies of the documents (where applicable) to help you in completing the indemnity form:
- Bio-data page of your passport
- Insurance policy
- Flight itinerary or e-ticket
- Next-of-Kin contact information
- Key information on the programme you are participating in
For a step-by-step guide,
We reserve the right not to process your credit transfer upon completion of the programme or to revoke your placement if you did not submit the indemnity form.
Withdrawal from Programme
GEM Discoverer reserves the right to impose a S$500 penalty should you withdraw after your formal acceptance without a valid reason. This also applies to fee-paying programmes especially when your school has reviewed your course matching requests. You may also be placed on a lower priority for other GEM Discoverer programmes in future if you withdraw without a valid reason.
In addition, please note that your host university may impose high cancellation fees, which GEM Discoverer has no control or influence over. Please check the host university website for details.
How do I apply?
Please apply via StudentLink > GEM Discoverer Online Application Module or click here.
Email and late applications will not be entertained.